Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sissy

As many of you know, my friend Lindsy has been batteling cancer. From the time of her diagnois till the present she has been teaching me how not to be a sissy. As I sat with her in the emergency room while she was in imense pain never once did she moan, or complain, or even grimace. Instead, she flipped through magazines, listened to music, and even cracked jokes. As we sat there many doctors came and went and each time like a well educated doc herself she carefully went through her medicall history often having to explain to her docs about her condition. They often would leave in a bit of bewilderment not knowing what to say or do with her and get someone else to come to see her where she would have to explain her symptoms and condition all over again. As they would turn to leave she would return the conversation back to the cavs game, or the latest fashion, or more importantly where we would eat once we finally got out of there. While this is just one example, it left me thinking my what a sissy I can be. I recently had an adorable baby girl. I too sat in the bed trying to model my friend and not be a sissy. I calmly asked for the epidural and a half hour passed and no one came. The contractions quickened and so I politely asked again ...."excuse me nurse could you PLEASE call for my epidural I would really like to have it now." By now an hour had passed and I tryed to remind myself of Lindsy's mantra....don't be a sissy so I waited. I patiently waited but unlike her I grimaced. I didn't scream or swear or even make a peep but I'm positive I unlike my brave unsissylike friend I grimaced! Another half hour passed and still NO Epidural my patience was wearing thin as the contrations quickened to less than a minute a part when my sister looked at "my grimace" and went and asked the nurse again to Please pretty please with sugar on top to get me the epidural. I sat in the bed looked at magazines, listened to music, and prayed that the epidural would at last come. Still yet another 15 minutes passed when finally I said to my husband go find the woman to get me the epidural NOW! He did but when she came it was to late I was allready 8 centimeters. I wanted to hurt the woman when she said sorry I ran into an old friend in the hall but luckily my friend Lindsy had been modeling how not be a sissy and I grinned and beared it....literally. In conclusion, a sissy is a timid or cowardly person who dosen't press forward and through her positive example I too pressed forward. May we all have the courage to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Followers